Caravan owners warned of carbon monoxide BBQ dangers

07/06/2012
The founder of charity Carbon Monoxide Awareness has called for greater awareness among caravan owners of the dangers of carbon monoxide produced by barbecues. Lynn Griffiths said that many caravan insurance customers were unaware of the potential dangers associated with using these cooking options in the likes of campervans, tourers and even static caravans.
 

This stark reminder of the threat of serious injury or death came soon after wide press coverage detailing how any campers have died following the use of lit barbecues in tents and caravans in order to cook food or provide warmth.

Ms Griffiths said: "Nobody should ever take a barbecue in doors. To do so is courting disaster, but the public don't seem to be aware of this and sadly there have been a number of tragedies and several near misses this year."

A number of MPs have also supported her campaign. Pauline Latham OBE, MP for Mid Derbyshire, said: "Carbon monoxide is difficult to detect because it is colourless and has no taste or smell. Tragically, people have fallen victim to not knowing about the dangers of BBQ gasses, and this is why it is so important to raise awareness."

Meanwhile, Alex Cunningham, MP for Stockton North, called on the manufacturers of grills to draw attention to the associated dangers of using these products in enclosed spaces.